HOME | CONTACT | DOMESTIC VIOLENCE | FLOWERS | HELP US | IMPORTANT LINKS | MY STORY
Many victims of abuse must flee their homes without warning, leaving them no time to pack for the occasion. They arrive at the shelters with only the cloths on their back. Oft times, the victims can never return home to retrieve their belongings, and thus are left with virtually nothing.
Such was my case, and I had to rely on the generousity of others for all my needs. I had no cash or cloths, not
even a toothbrush or toothpaste. Small items, yes....but very Big, when you don't have the means to purchase them.
I can not speak for all the domestic violence shelters in our country, but I do know many of them have a great need for IMMEDIATE USE items, and a need for long-range items as well.
IMMEDIATE NEEDS -
- Hair Brushes and combs
- Hand Mirrors
- Toiletries of all kinds
- Pillows and Pillow Cases
FOR COMFORTING -
- Crocheted or Knitted Afghans, laprobes or shawls
- Crocheted or Knitted Slippers or Socks
- Teddy Bears (and maybe not just for children)
Many of your local YWCA's and other shelters throughout the country have programs whereby they take in abused women for a period of time to help them relocate and rebuild their lives, etc. These women are in need of everything required to set up a new home. Below is a general list of items that are in great demand.
LONG-RANGE NEEDS -
- Pots and Pans
- Silverware and Cooking Utensils
- Small Appliances
- Linen (sheets, blankets, pillows, etc.)
- Bathroom Towels and Washcloths
- Kitchen Towels and Potholders
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
WHERE TO SEND YOUR DONATIONS
Most Battered Women's shelters are not listed in the phone book for obvious reasons. If you have items that
you would like to donate to a shelter in your area, but don't know where to take them, or how to contact the shelter, please try the following:
- For a shelter near you, check out STATE SHELTERS
- Call your local Police Department (NON-Emergency Number)and ask them for the phone number.
- Call the Domestic Violence Services, or the Child Abuse Services listed under "County Of" in your particular county, and ask for the phone number of the nearest shelter.
- Call your local YWCA.
- If all the above fails, EMAIL ME and I will do my best to locate a shelter in your area.
HELPING WITH SUPPORT GROUP -
Are you a survivor of abuse? Recovered from P.T.S.D.? Do you feel led to share your experiences with others and help them along their road to recovery from the traumas of abuse and P.T.S.D.....to encourage someone to get away from their abuser? If you're interested in joining our Support Team, we'd love to have your input. EMAIL ME for more details.